Friday, September 6, 2013


The Union Elementary
WISE OWL
September 6, 2013

"Have You Seen the Owl Today?"

Welcome to the fifth issue of the Union Elementary Wise Owl!  We hope that you enjoy this new way of learning what's going on at UES!

WELCOME TO THE UES KINDERGARTEN
CLASS OF 2013-14!
(AND MHS CLASS OF 2026!  WOW!)



RIDDLE OF THE DAY

We see it once in a year, twice in a week, and never in a day. What is it?

Thursday's riddle:  How do you make the number one disappear?  (Answer:  Add the letter "G", and it's GONE!)




KID LINKS!  Have you checked out Kid Links on the UES website?  When you do, you'll see 48 links to educational resources and games for students in grades K to 5!  Build your math skills, write poetry, or find out more about pumpkins!  (See below!)

The Kid Links page can be found in the upper left of our web page, right next to the Wise Owl link.  It's worth checking out!



Important Date! 

On Thursday, September 26, UES will have our first Open House.  We will have more details about Open House next week, so please stay tuned.  We will also have our Picture Day on the same day.  Order forms for Picture Day will be sent home with students by the end of the week.

Playground Donations Needed!

Do you have any outdoor toys for children ages 5 to 7 that are in clean, good condition?  If so, please contact Mrs. Giffin.  We could use some more toys for the children to play with on our smaller playground.

Did You Know?...

... that poems could be funny?
Check out "My Mother Said To Do My Chores":
My mother said to do my chores,
to dust the shelves and mop the floors,
and wipe the walls and wind the clocks,
and scoop the kitty's litter box,
and walk the dog and feed the fishes,
and wash and and dry the dirty dishes,
and clean my room and take a bath,
and read a book and do my math,
and pick up all my Lego blocks,
and put away my shoes and socks,
and hang my shirts and fold my pants,
and water all the potted plants,
and organize my toys and games,
and straighten up the picture frames,
and polish all the silverware,
and brush my teeth and comb my hair,
and rake the leaves and mow the lawn,
and on and on and on and on.

She said I'll get to have some fun
as soon as all my chores are done.

With all the chores I have to do
until my mother says I'm through,
like study for an hour or two
the names of places in Peru,
and peel potatoes and stir the stew,
and fix a vase with crazy glue,
and practice tuba till I'm blue,
and scrub the tub and toilet too,
and sweep the chimney and the flue,
and wash the dog with pet shampoo,
and pick up piles of puppy poo...

It looks like I'll be ninety three
before I get to watch TV.
--Kenn Nesbitt
You can find this and many other funny poems at this Kid Link:

No comments:

Post a Comment